Re: [LAU] Linux news in the current KWR Newsletter

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2011 - 17:31:01 EEST

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On 09/27/2011 08:14 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
>
>> Guys, chiming in here, what about discoDSP Highlife? Is it available as
>> free
>> software? I looked at the so file, but I don't know if it is an actual
>> source of the plugin?
>>
>> Louigi.
>>

> Hello Louigi,
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/vst-**plugins.git/tree/HEAD:/**plugins/highlife<http://repo.or.cz/w/vst-plugins.git/tree/HEAD:/plugins/highlife>
>
> Compiles fine and runs ok here.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Thanks for the link Jeremy!

The 32-bit LinuxVST available for download on the DiscoDSP site works fine
for me but compiling it from scratch from this git repo under Debian Wheezy
amd64 doesn't. Highlife compiles and links OK and I can load it into both A3
svn and qtractor 0.5.1 but I get the error:

WAV Loader: File error. Unsupported Wave Chunk(s)

When I tried loading a wav file under both DAWs. It seems to load ogg files
but even then I can't get any sound out of it :/

It could be that the VST on the DiscoDSP site has patches missing from
falktx's tree but falktx is too busy with other projects right now to tend
to Highlife.

In desperation I wrote to vember audio today asking them to consider porting
(or even opening) their popular shortcircuit sampler VSTi to Linux. I think
its pretty unlikely they'll bother as it hasn't been updated in years but I
feel better for having asked anyway.

Dan