Re: [LAU] rme express cards

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 08 2011 - 22:53:49 EEST

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 01:49:08PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> yeah, i think this is the root cause of the problem. if the card has
> been found, you can use hdsploader to re-upload the firmware iirc, but
> unless you see it in lspci, there's nothing you could do.
> i have the same issue with an expresscard ieee1394 adaptor - it will
> only work when it's inserted before booting.

Which leaves us with 2 possibilities:

1. Linux relies on the BIOS to detect the card, and in
that case there's probably no way to have it working if
inserted after booting,

2. Or there is something in the boot sequence that scans
the pci bus, and in that case it should be possible to
repeat that operation.

I've no idea wich one is correct, if any.

On a related note, I have a PCIe Raydat that even locks
up the PC it's supposed to be used in before it even
reaches the boot menu. But according to the firm we got
it from there's nothing wrong with it, and they refuse
to replace or exchange it.

Ciao,

--
FA