Re: [LAU] How bad is mp3/ogg

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 12 2011 - 00:54:59 EEST

Reply to All / Reply to List
On Tuesday 11 October 2011 22.57.38 Atte André Jensen wrote:

> My question is: is this really a fair way to judge the artifacts
> introduced by encoding?

My subjective opinion: -Probably yes and no. Yes because this artifacts
often are audible, especially when you know the stuff and No because most
people don't care and actually like some of them (like stronger
compression and more generated noise which makes things louder).

This kind of encodings is (I believe) about fooling the ears by removing
"masked" info and put everything that make sounds in a context, so often,
we don't really hear or notice this artifacts when we are listening to
the music.

That said, I believe that lossy compression do reduce sound quality, but
in many, maybe most (?) cases, I can't say that a good quality lossy
compressed piece of music sounds bad without listening to the original,
which often sounds like shit anyway this days.

I often notice that even high quality MP3s often makes essing stronger on
music I have been mixing, but that might be the way I adjust things (EQ,
HPF, deess and so on), so I don't really know. I do also dislike many WMA
files, which in my opinion often generates strong circle saw like
artifacts. But all this might be my ears.

So I think you should let your ears be the judge of what's good or bad,
and 128 kbps/q=3 is not interesting when we speak HiFi anyway. 300 kbps
and higher is much more interesting IM(subjective)O.

Jostein