Re: [LAU] How bad is mp3/ogg

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 00:03:47 EEST

Am 12.10.2011 21:45, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 09:09:37PM +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 12 October 2011 17.09.13 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>>
>>> Tonight I'm recording 5 violins made by Guadagnini (about 1 M Euro
>>> each), for a listening test about the violins. Could provide some
>>> interesting test material for an encoding ABX test...
>>
>> Lucky you.. :-)
>
> To make this clear, I don't get 1 M Euro for each one I record...
> :-( It's just the insurance value of the instruments.
>
> BTW, 'gaudagnini' means 'little gains' or 'little profits' :-)
>
> I'll try to get permission to make some of this available
> for mp3/ogg testing.

I am quite sure, that this could make some extremely listenable
differences also.

Sergiu Celibidache refused to allow *any* recordings of the music he
played with several top-grade orchestras whenever he could. He thought,
that music cannot be conserved and he also found all microphones
in-aedequate.

I tend to think, that such reservations have to do with the way, music
is made fit for the market. If a recording is really "HiFi" in the sense
of the word, it does not only spoil the expectations of most listeners,
it is hard to reproduce with average equipment also. Thus such
recordings are no products that can be sold to everybody easily.

Some younger drummers and guitar-players I recorded have made a long
face when they heard their playing for the first time reproduced by my
nearfield-monitors. They simply where disappointed, that my 8"-Speakers
did not sound "the same as powerful" as their 4x12"-stack or their 24"
bass-drum. Its physics -- baby ;-)

I think to make recordings is a form of art in its own: HiFi is just a
concept, that can act as a guideline if this is wanted but in the end it
is plain impossible to make a recording that is a valid replacement of
music played live. And if one goes for it as far as possible, the result
may sound quite strange to people that are used to recordings that sound
"good" even from their laptop-speakers. The horizon of sound that fits
the latter requirement can be reproduced by OGG or MP3 quite well I guess...

best regards
HZN