Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 14:59:18 EEST

måndagen den 17 oktober 2011 22.22.35 skrev James Stone:
..
> Just wondered if people could give me a list of their favorite DSP
> plugins for "normal" studio recording type jobs.
>
> I guess I would need a parametric EQ, compressor and reverb.. Anything else?

My core plugins is this:
  *The channel strip ones that comes with Mixbus: The
   compressors, EQs and HPF.
  *The SR-2B Stereo Reverb and The VC2B Compressor from LinuxDSP.
  *TAP DeEsser from Tom Szilagyi

And when something demands more attention, help or love (still core):
  *The MKII GRAPH-EQ Graphical EQ and The Pro-Channel Gate from
   LinuxDSP.
  *zita-at1 and Zita-rev1 from Fons Adriansen
  *Delay Munge from Invada

Other plugins that I use from time to time:
  *LV2 Convolution Reverb from Tom Szilagyi
  *Compressor, ER Reverb and Test Tones from Invada
  *Mainly Fons and LinuxDSP stuff

I never use (alpha/beta graded or) unstable plugins, and the reason is that I
want to make sure that they work exactly the same way every time I use them -
even after an upgrade, and in that respect, I find LinuxDSP, Fons Adriansen,
Tom Szilagyi and Invada trustfully and they also have an extreme high level on
quality and reliability on everything they do. I suppose that several others
who make plugins also have this qualities, but this "gang" above pretty much
covers up my needs. Another common thing with my core plugins is that they
works in intuitive and musically ways, I do in general not have to think about
parameters and other flow-killing stuff, I just turn knobs or drag slides
until things sounds good.

I do test plugins very seriously when I have good time and many of for example
the CALF ones sounds promising, I might consider some of them if they also
comes in mono-version, but "under development" and "stereo only" are show
stoppers for me.

Jostein