Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 18:21:20 EEST

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:46:03AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I don't know the TAP limiter. But whats bad with Steve Harris Fast Look
> Ahead Limiter? It's one of the best limiters I know

Indeed it works well.

> and btw. any Limiter is useless in the master bus.

You may enjoy Steve Jobs being dead, and maybe Gates and Merkel
even more when that happens, but none of them would produce such
gratituous nonsense as what you write above.

In fact the only place where you want a limiter that acts on the
actual peaks, and in the way a lookahead limiter does it, is at
the output of the master bus, just before you convert to a fixed
bit size (file or soundcard).

> There's enough headroom to ban a limiter, assumed
> the basic mixing is ok.

Almost all of my recording is 'classical' music which does not
require high average level or invasive compression. But even
using conservative average levels (mostly EBU loudness based
these days), that doean't mean that you can't get a signal that
peaks above 0 dB. It may happen just 0.01% of the time, but it
happens. And such short peaks are no good reason to lower the
average level, and limiting them to avoid clipping is completely
transparent, so I always use a limiter in the master bus.

Ciao,

--
FA