Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 21:45:16 EEST

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 03:00:30PM +0100, James Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM, S C Rigler <riglersc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
> > wrote:

> >> I'm not so fond of JAMin. It has flaws and consumes way too much CPU.
> >> About a year ago Patrick Shirkey mentioned that there was no other JACK
> >> application that attempts to provide a complete mastering chain. But
> >> that was about a year ago, at the moment it is perfectly possible to
> >> create a similar tool chain with the help of plug-ins. I prefer plug-ins
> >> then, more flexible.
> >>
> > If I want to be loud I'm happy with the results I get using linuxDSP's
> > Multiband Compressor and the TAP Scaling Limiter.
> >
> > --Steve
>
> Some really interesting things here. I think the main issue for me has
> been finding a good reverb that I'm happy with. Never tried any of the
G2verb is very good, but you have to invest some time in acquiring a
feel for what are sensible values to achieve whatever type of sound
you're looking for.

> convolution solutions though - so will give that a go.
It's very good.

> Regarding mastering, I've heard good things about nama, but never used
> it myself:
>
> http://ecmdr.infogami.com/blog/
Nama is what I use for all the work I do, so does Julien Claassen who
has shared much of his work with this list. Nama has a mastering chain
set up using many of the plugins mentioned in this thread and offers all
one needs for mastering, at least to my mind. I don't think it makes
much sense to have an overly elaborate mastering chain in the first
place. YMMV

Cheers,
S.M.