Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2011 - 11:07:36 EEST

On 10/19/2011 10:42 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Some months ago someone wrote that zita-at1 was indeed the only
> usable autotuner on Linux, but that unfortunately it could not
> produce some effects that were popular at the time. As far as I
> know, that refers to male singers sounding as if their b***s are
> being squeezed or roasted. Is such an effect an essential element
> of 'the popular style of the present' ? AFAICT it will be forgotten
> soon if it isn't already. It's the sort of thing that gets boring
> the third time you hear it.

Autotuning has been around for more than 10 years and the last 4 years
it has become an essential element of contemporary popmusic, both as an
effect (T-Pain) but also as a safety net (last time I watched a Rock and
Roll Hall of Fame concert I shut it down, Tom Petty just sounds horrible
through an autotuner). Even the popular comedy serie Glee relies on
autotuning. So after Cher released Believe it didn't get forgotten and
people are still not bored with it.

Best,

Jeremy
With the help of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotune