Re: [LAU] More Shoegaze..

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 21 2011 - 02:02:05 EEST

On 21/10/11 05:55, James Stone wrote:
> Apologies for those with an allergy to soundcloud, but I don't have a
> better way of distribution at the moment.
>
> http://soundcloud.com/jmstone/never-again
>
> I recorded this a few months ago now, planning to make some further
> changes, but I'm not sure I will get round to it in the near future,
> so.. RERO.
>
> The extreme distortion, and vocals back in the mix is on purpose - and
> hopefully reasonably in keeping with the genre. The piece could
> probably do with a better ending!

Nice work -- I'm certainly no expert on shoegaze, but it definitely
seems like it's in keeping with the genre to me. The structure actually
reminded me more of electronic music than traditional writing, with the
way it builds up from elements introduced at fairly regular intervals
rather than having a strong verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure. That
might make sense given how you put the track together, though :)

I know it's the kind of genre that tends toward a slow burn, so I could
be right off the mark here, but it felt like it could have done with
some more textural variety by the end of it. I love the spacey,
washed-out feel of the guitars, but I wonder if there's some other way
you could mix up that texture in the second half of the track, rather
than just building up the same guitar parts again. I'm afraid I can't
offer any ideas, though!

Thanks
Leigh