Re: [LAU] Recommend inexpensive monitors and headphones

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 21 2011 - 18:57:32 EEST

A friend of mine has the K271 (Golden coloured sides), they're fine for
doing light work.

On the other hand: I don't think I'd mix an album on headphones, especially
if you intend to pan anything (ie: you're working in stereo)
Fact is that the brain response *very* differently to sounds near the ears
(headphones) or where your stereo speakers normally are.

Also: Beware of KRK Rokits, do some googling for "broken krk rokit 5", read
some forums. I've seen the speakers fail, and don't trust them. Mackie MR5's
are an alternative to the Yamaha HS50, I like the way they sound, very
"clean" "precise" sound if I was to describe it.

I've Tapco S8's here, they're very nice for heavy basslines with the 8 inch
woofer you just get that bit more low end. Supposedly they're quite favoured
by hip hop artists for good hip hop kick drum rep.

I'd have bought Genelec / Adam if I had lots of cash... but the price to
performance of the Tapco S8 is phenomenal compared to the A3X (which was
what I was looking at)

Good luck & let us know what you decide on! -Harry