Re: [LAU] Controlling pulseaudio volume via XF86AudioLower/RaiseVolume buttons

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 12:04:35 EEST

On 10/23/2011 03:48 AM, Andrew C wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and have switched away from the Gnome 2 DE in
> favour of lwm and other assorted lightweight window managers etc.

Hello Andrew,

Which Window Manager are you using? LWM is not so configurable afaik.

> One thing I'm trying to get working again is the XF86AudioLowerVolume
> and XF86AudioRaiseVolume (as detected by xev) hotkeys on my keyboard
> to lower and raise the volume of the default pulseaudio sink by, lets
> say, +/-5% (incidentally, I'm having issue with the Monitor brightness
> increase key working, but not the down key. Probably better for me to
> ask somewhere else about that though).
>
> Should scripting and a suitable keygrabber (lets say, xbindkeys) work
> for this kind of stuff, or is there hardcoded gnome2/pulseaudio stuff
> going on?

No hardcoded stuff going on and it is scriptable with xbindkeys. But
that also depens on which WM you're using. If you can adjust the volume
by configuring your WM you save yourself from having to create a script
and run an extra daemon.

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew.

Best,