Re: [LAU] Open Sound Interface project beginnings

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 20:28:18 EEST

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:23:53 -0500
Charles Henry <czhenry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Christoph Kuhr <christoph.kuhr@web.de> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm unfamiliar with AV bridging--what do you use it for?
> >
> > AVB is a !!! layer2 !!! ethernet standard for audio and video transport,
> > with precise timing synchronization (house clock like with grandmaster clock
> > selection), resource reservation and quality of service.
> > worstcase latency over 7hops: 2ms
> > needs fast eth at least.
>
> OK, that's a very good standard. Then, it's also addressable, so you
> could have multiple audio devices on the same network. It should also
> be good for designing large PA systems (over whole buildings, concert
> halls, arenas, etc...) using standard networking.
>
> > the pro audio industry is presenting first products soon, meyersound already
> > has it in use in its dmitri.
> > harman pro (studer, soundcraft, bss, jbl,...),  yamaha will support it,
> > biamp, focusrite, audinate, and many many more...
> >
> > this compatibility would make such an open interface much more interesting,
> > i think.
>
> Where does the implementation belong? It ought to factor into
> designing kernel modules + hardware (eth) + fpga code.
>
> >> While the FPGA's themselves aren't prohibitively expensive, the rapid
> >> development boards+software are.
> >
> > i have a low budget board from xilinx (200$), but will soon switch to
> > altera, because the are cheaper boards available (60€)...
> >
> > bye
> > Ck
>
> I have a Basys2 Xilinix board to get started on. It's decently priced
> and has an I2C DAC module (20$ extra) for me to play with, plus some
> breadboards for trying out other IC's. At my university, I can take
> an FPGA course next spring also. Seems like it's still a long road
> ahead before having anything interesting programmed.
>
> I'd also be interested in other manufacturers--the big issue for me is
> figuring out which programming interface works best (on Linux
> preferrably!!!). The Xilinx ISE 13.2 needed a little debugging of
> shell scripts, so far.

Wasn't this very much like what was discussed about a year ago?

There is this:
http://www.xmos.com/avbl2

The code for this reference design is royalty free, and lots of detail is
available. With all the documentation and code available, surely it would be
possible to make a linux equivalent to an endpoint.

These are BGA devices so not suitable for D.I.Y. builds, but I wonder how much a
small production run would be for a board with just the power, Ethernet and I2S
headers.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk