Re: [LAU] browsing large sample collections

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2011 - 02:06:41 EET

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011, Renato wrote:

> that works quite good for my small sample collection. I also have
> associated .wav files with mhwaveedit, which is really nice for fast
> operations (trimming, normalizing, fading). BTW to do that in mc you
> should edit the extension file (Command->Edit extension file)
>
> But samplecat looks definitely neater!

Yeah, SampleCat does look like what I'm looking for. I did think about
Midnight Commander, but what I didn't like about that was that it
doesn't actually understand the content itself. I'd like something
truly like GQview, but for audio -- it knows what it's browsing, and it
gives you options to internally audition and manage on disk. Samplecat
seems to do that, including even the ability to keep track of stuff on
removable media that's not mounted.

What launched all of this is my growing archive of drum machine samples
from various vintage beatboxes. It's getting to the point where even I
don't know what I've got anymore, and I'm pretty sure a lot of it's
useless and could be deleted.

--
+ Brent A. Busby	 +
+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +	Vote for Cthulhu.