Re: [LAU] Uniting Windows and Linux audio worlds.

From: Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2011 - 13:47:32 EET

tisdagen den 8 november 2011 12.25.41 skrev Brett McCoy:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > tisdagen den 8 november 2011 03.35.37 skrev Brett McCoy:
> >> Now here's the cool part: on the Windows box, I run VNC server. On the
> >> Linux side, I use a utility called x2vnc. I start x2vnc up and connect
> >> to the VNC server on Windows and voila! It's like having a twin
> >> monitor setup, I can easily move the mouse between monitors now, and
> >> the keyboard follows the mouse, no KVM needed (I have the keyboard &
> >> mouse going into a KVM switch, actually, but that's only for
> >> emergencies).
> >
> > If you just want keyboard and mouse working on two or more boxes. I use
> > (several computers but for other reasons than making music) synergy on
> > windows and Linux. It's lightweitght but needs a working network.
> >
> > http://synergy-foss.org/
>
> Yeah, basically the same kind of thing, although synergy looks slicker
> (I mean that in a good way)

Yes. As you say, basically the same. The good thing is you don't need X on
your windows box to use it and it works for more than 2 boxes. But as the FAQ
on synergy says, "the right tool for the job is whatever tool works best for
you".

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/faq.html#faq3

PS. I use synergy on my HTPC (xbmc) at home and it seems to eat some memory
over time. DS.

/bengan