[LAU] Fwd: Tips for mastering?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 13 2011 - 17:49:34 EET

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [LAU] Tips for mastering?
To: Gabbe Nord <gabbe.nord@email-addr-hidden>

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Gabbe Nord <gabbe.nord@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> * I want a similar soundlevel throughout the whole of the EP, eg. I want
> the songs to be similar in strength even if they are dissimilar in
> dynamics/type of song. Some songs are naturally more "aggressive" and thus
> will be a bit stronger, but I want the climaxes in the more easy going
> songs to be as strong.

Well, one mistake a lot of people make is "normalizing" the songs to .1db
below 0db. If you "normalize" a more aggressive song, which has a high
"apparently loudness," there is no way you will get quieter songs to
compare in average levels.

Not only is it important to take a lot of breaks, it's also very important
to change the levels at which you listen. Listen loud, listen quiet,
listen every level in between. Not only does it help prevent ear fatigue,
it also gives you an idea what Fletcher-Munson is doing to your mixes.
Also, listen through a variety of systems, and make sure you cover
everything from a full-range high power sound system, but also $5 ear buds,
and cheesy car stereos.