Re: [LAU] Reinstalling Ubuntu - Which version ?

From: jy <jypllx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2011 - 10:59:19 EET

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

>> There are other dists than ubuntu too :) that in many cases are far
better suited for audio...
Yeah I guess. But I'm not only using my pc for audio as it's the family
laptop :)
Anyway I think it's my last attempt at ubuntu as I get tired of it, if
think it's great to begin with but now I want something a bit more...
well... stable and smaller. Something I can have easy control.
So which ones would you suggest for reasonable tweaking, easily
maintanable, with good hardware support (as I'm using a laptop) and fun to
use for people who don't care about which OS they're using (meaning a cool
and friendly desktop with the regular apps that one can use on other OS) ?

> Also, there is linux 2.6.33-rt for lucid in kxstudio PPA. It is not in
the main PPA but look for "KXstudio team kernels and drivers".
Great thanks Pablo, I'll try this one...

> Tango Studio is Ubuntu-based, dedicated to audio and has a very good
realtime kernel.
I've been looking at TangoStudio earlier but it's too much audio/video
oriented for me. I want something a bit more versatile (with automatic
package update for instance). I don't want to bother to update my system
manually. Actually, I just use a few apps (jack, ardour, hydrogen,
bristol, yoshimi plus effects) not the whole bunch so I always fear these
distros (tangostudio, ubuntustudio, ..) that come with a lot of apps. I
usually get lost

Thanks and cheers
jy