Re: [LAU] Decoding/ripping dolby surround CDs

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 17 2011 - 05:50:54 EET

On Wednesday 16 November 2011 18:28, Al Thompson wrote:
> > I've got a CD, which says, it's mastered for dolby surround. When I
> > ripped it and listened to it, some passages sound very quiet. Is there
> > a way, to rip or encode the tracks to 5.1 or whatever they would be,
> > so I can have a better listening experience? Please don't suggest any
> > GUI-software, since I CAN'T use it. Thank you.
> Is it ENCODED in Dolby 5.1? If it is, it takes a Dolby 5.1 decoder to
> separate it into 5 channels (plus sub).

The kind of Dolby surround encoding where you just hear a stereo mix if you
don't have an encoder (as opposed to a blast of noise) isn't 5.1; it's more
like "3.0", or maybe quad as discussed below. The surround channel is
encoded by shifting its phase and adding it to the other channels. I've
had albums that weren't recorded in surround but sounded that way with
surround equipment because of various effects the producer used, such as
Amarok by Mike Oldfield.

I think you could encode a center channel too. When I was hanging out with
a friend who works at a TV station when they first started broadcasting in
surround, during the test pattern before a show with surround, a narrator
would say "This is the left channel. This is the right channel. Center, and
surround," with his voice coming out of each speaker appropriately if you
had a surround system. (When we watched Star Trek on the sat feed, it was
Michael Dorn doing the narration, which is why I still remember.)

Rob