[LAU] Realtime priority when using several cards as MIDInterface

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Nov 26 2011 - 21:44:05 EET

I'm using a RME card for audio and MIDI and two Envy24 cards for MIDI.

Using rtirq with it's default in /etc/rtirq.conf,
resp. /etc/default/rtirq resp. /etc/sysconfig/rtirq

RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="rtc snd usb i8042"

caused

PID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
 55 FF 90 - 130 0.0 S irq/8-rtc0
659 FF 85 - 125 0.0 S irq/20-ICE1712
671 FF 85 - 125 0.0 S irq/21-ICE1712
652 FF 83 - 123 0.1 S irq/18-hdspm

switching to

RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="rtc hdspm snd usb i8042"

resulted in

PID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
 55 FF 90 - 130 0.0 S irq/8-rtc0
619 FF 85 - 125 0.1 S irq/18-hdspm
629 FF 80 - 120 0.0 S irq/20-ICE1712
631 FF 80 - 120 0.0 S irq/21-ICE1712

Dunno, perhaps RTIRQ_NON_THREADED="rtc snd" should also be edited.

Anyway, thanks to coincidence I noticed this issue and thanks to Rui I
was able to correct the priority.

My intend is to inform users of several PCI, PCIe MIDInterfaces to take
care about priorities, when one of the devices additionally is used for
audio too.

I didn't test if there's an audible difference on my machine, I suspect
that there isn't any difference, but IMO even this could be the cause
for an issue.

FWIW, I also own an USB MIDI device, a nice addition for non-rt bulk
dump, for my needs useless to make music.

I guess if I wouldn't use those Envy24 cards as MIDInterfaces, the RME
would have first priority after the clock.

- Ralf