Re: [LAU] [LAD] gxtuner-1.5 released

From: Gerhard Zintel <gerhard.zintel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 10 2011 - 14:17:41 EET

Hi Jostein,

On Friday 09 December 2011, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On a guitar with an ordinary nut, the distance between the nut and the
> first fret is in general to big, this situation is better with guitars
> with a zero fret. So if you tune every string (open in EADGBE) with a
> tuner on a guitar without a zero fret, then it will be wrong already on
> the first fret, all the notes on that fret will be slightly to sharp if
> the guitar is intonated correctly on the 12th fret. And most of the other
> notes will be out of tune, som to sharp and other to flat. I'm not aware
> of a tuner that takes this under consideration.
>
> On a guitar with an ordinary nut, the tuning can never be anything else
> than compromises, and to tune open strings with a tuner or using
> harmonics is really terrible because not many chords will sound clean.
>
> I really recommend the links I showed in the previous post, they explains
> it all much better than I do:
> http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/Tuning/tuning.html
> http://www.sternercapo.se/Compensation/index-Eng.HTM
>
> So this is not about good or bad tuners, it's about physical laws.
> Strange enough, only some very expensive guitars are shipped with for
> example Earvana nuts (some ESPs and some PRS's as far as I know) -
> strange, because Earvana's and SOS' are cheap and makes a big difference.
>
> The best compromised tuning that I know about is the method Paul Guy
> describes here (warning: long link with spaces):

I've read the links you posted with great interest, especially this one
> "http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/Tuning/tuning.html#My favourite
> method"

and here I stumbled about his favorit tuner - see www.turbo-tuner.com. After a
while of thinking about the principle of a strobe tuner I have got the
feeling, the turbo tuner could be easily implemented in software.

> Does really gxtuner (or nearly any other tuner) have functions that solve
> this problem on guitars with only the bridge corrected?

Would this kind of tuner be of any help for you? Any way, I'd like to sketch
up a small test application using Jack's simple_client.c demo application as
a starter and an easy to use GUI toolkit for a first version of a graphical
user interface. By now it should not give more than a proof of concept.

Here I'd like to ask the list for a hint with which kind of GUI Toolkit
(preferably in C) I could have a quick and easy start. I fear that if I have
first to learn how to work with gtk2 or qt, I will never make progress.

Gerhard