[LAU] Good audio interface for GNU/Linux?

From: tizo <tizone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 12 2011 - 05:31:11 EET

Hi there,

Nowadays, I use Debian Squeeze to play my keyboard, which is an
M-Audio midi controlled connected to my PC through USB. The software I
am using is jack to connect all the stuff, mididings to control my
keyboard on real time (keyboard partitions on different outputs
channels, octaves configuration, etc), and QSynth to synthesize the
sounds. This works really nice by the way.

Now, I would like to practise with my band, using my computer and
headphones to not annoy my neighbours. At the beginning we would be
three: a bass, a guitar and the keyboards. I am thinking in using
guitarix to control the bass and the guitar. So, what I am searching
is a good audio interface, that works on GNU/Linux out of the box,
with some instrument inputs, and some headphones outputs. I was
thinking in something like
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html, but I have
read that it does not work out of the box in GNU/Linux. Besides, it
has only two headphones outputs, and we would need at least three at
the beginning, and I don't really know if those headphones outputs
could be used as system outputs.

In the future, we would like to add and electric drum too. I think
that this would not be a problem for the instrument inputs of the
audio interface, as it could be connected directly to USB sending MIDI
signals, but the problem would be that we would need another pair of
headphones.

To sum up, the questions are:

1- Do you know any good audio interface that works out of the box in
GNU/Linux, with at least two instrument inputs?
2- Could we use the same interface to connect 4 headphones?. Or should
we think in another hardware to make this?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks very much,

tizo