Re: [LAU] screencasting with xephyr - wiki page

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 15 2011 - 14:17:13 EET

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:59:52 +0100
Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 12/15/11 12:45, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > I know I'm not trying to express a popular opinion, but what's the
> > benefit of using Xephyr when you can just record a particular part
> > of a screen?
> >
> > Alexandre Prokoudine
> > http://libregraphicsworld.org
>
> Hello Alexandre,
>
> I'm the author of that article and your question actually raises
> doubts here why one would need Xephyr for this. The -s setting of
> ffmpeg should suffice and by omitting the -i option it should start
> recording your current display if I'm correct. I think the main
> reason why I do it this way is because like this I have a separate
> display (shown in a separate window) with the session I want to
> record and I can start and stop recording this session from another
> display.

ah, but the article said it's better to use Xephyr so youtube doesn't
do resolution conversions... Mind if I add another section to the wiki
with a simpler script without Xephyr? (basically yours, but with -i 0:0
instead of -i :2 ... you know so someone searching for this can find a
quick answer without having to loose too much time understanding what
is ffmpeg and what is xephyr)

cheers,
renato