Re: [LAU] Help with amateur radio setup

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2011 - 12:26:23 EET

On 12/16/2011 10:27 AM, Ali Polatel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I and a couple of friends have decided to set up an amateur internet
> radio. We have a relatively small budget thus we want to go step by step.
> What we've thought so far is to have a devoted box with all the music
> archived. Ideally we want to make the interface very simple for DJs to
> use, even if this means increasing the maintenance cost of the system
> administrator. They should be able to grab a microphone and use a
> portable interface (yes, some DJs may be using windows) to choose music,
> play and start talking right away.
>
> The devoted box will be running Linux and I plan to administer the
> system. I have relatively good knowledge on Linux systems and
> programming in general. I want the system to be flexible, be it at the
> cost of difficulties in configuration or deployment.
>
> Please advice and share your experiences.

Hi Alip,

icecast and darkice are the tools I use for streaming and broadcasting.
Both have fairly good documentation. Icecast is used by professional
broadcasting stations (e.g., Tilos Radio Budapest http://www.tilos.hu,
see http://stream.tilos.hu for the icecast web interface).

darkice is a tool which can stream from your soundcard (ALSA, OSS or
jack) to an icecast server. It can encode to ogg or mp3 (mp3 depends on
mp3 encoder libs, which are not available on all distros). Both tools
work very well and robust.

Be aware that the network load of the relay server (icecast) is stream
bandwidth times number of listeners.

- Giso