Re: [LAU] rosegarden 1 system 0

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 17 2011 - 04:14:18 EET

On Friday, December 16, 2011 09:10:48 PM Bob van der Poel did opine:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM, gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> >> On Friday, December 16, 2011 03:55:40 PM Brett McCoy did opine:
> >>
> >> As the reboot recovery here is about a 20 minute process due to
> >> e2fsck'ing about a terrabyte drive, and I get all my custom stuff
> >> I've been running for years restarted, I hadn't tried that. Its
> >> default software synth is timidity, so I haven't even installed
> >> these two listed above. Are you implying that an unserviced IRQ
> >> from the sound card might be at the bottom of this dog pile? If so,
> >> how would one go about determining that?
> >
> > I don't know what could be causing the issue. You need to see if the
> > same problems happen when the hardware synth is not being used. If no
> > lockups occur when Rosegarden plays back to Fluidsynth or another
> > synth, then see if you get the same lockup when another MIDI sequencer
> > sends MIDI to you hardware synth. If so, then the problem is your
> > audio hardware. Is the hardware a PCI card or built-in on the
> > motherboard?

PCI

> I can add that when I used the MIDI ports on my Audiophile PCI card
> I'd get total system lockups all the time :) I now use the el-cheapo
> USB->Midi interfaces and have never had a problem with them. The
> audiophile lockups were over different computers and several different
> Ubuntu installs. Never figured out what was going on ... just decided
> to use the USB thing and not worry.

Potentially at the cost of some latency, plus I understand that USB can re-
order packet sequences. As long as they get there, I don't imagine that as
being a huge problem though, as long as the note off doesn't get there
before the corresponding note on.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry.
		-- Anton Chekhov