Re: [LAU] issue with jackd and USB mouse

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 17 2011 - 23:41:25 EET

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Carlo Ascani wrote:
>> Jackd does not start if an USB mouse is plugged into my laptop.
>> I am using an USB Audio card (Alesis IO|2)
>
> The mouse is using too much bandwidth.
>
>> Linux jaco 2.6.38-8-lowlatency-pae
>
> This kernel has a buggy USB scheduler that makes any amount of bandwidth
> too much. This is fixed in 3.1.5.

Ah, a reason to use 3.1.5.

>> 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
>> 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
>
> Try to connect the devices to ports that belong to different controllers.

Definitely! USB mice are evil, they don't get along well with faster USB
devices.

Also check which audio device JACK sees where. On mine, the order in
which audio devices appear on QJackCtl's list changes frequently. So one
time the USB sound card would be device hw:1, next time it would be
device hw:3. (Also, for some reason, if I have my USB=MIDI interface
plugged in on startup, JACK will try to use it as a sound card.)

There's various ways to name ALSA devices and have JACK connect to them
using their names, that fixes the floating device assignment problem.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden