Re: [LAU] eliminating xruns on 64-bit Arch ?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 19 2011 - 17:11:42 EET

Hi Dave,

On 12/19/2011 03:12 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A quick update on the problem. Two things appear to have helped
> considerably: I now run the rtirq script to optimize the IRQ
> assignments, and I set the sr for my Delta 66 to 48k, the same rate as
> JACK. It had been set at 44.1 with JACK running at 48k. Whoops.
>
> A3 is much happier, even without the rt-patched kernel

The important parts - regarding low latency audio - of the RT patch have
been in mainline since 2.6.39.

> but I intend to
> build and install the 3.0-rt sources anyway.

While in general this is beneficial, it's much easier to get it wrong
than get it right.

Unless you aim for very low latencies < 2ms or need to have 100%
[software,scheduler] reliability (for on-stage performances) a default
voluntary-preemt kernel with 'threadirq' should be sufficient. YMMV.

Personally I have not yet succeeded to compile a re-usable reliable
3.0.X-rt; Some revisions require nohz option, some others have problems
with suspend/resume and/or power-off. It's a bit of a kludgy situation.

However it is possible to get a reasonably stable desktop:
3.0.6-rt17+ SMP PREEMT x86_64 has an uptime of 68 days here, zero x-runs
since then with jackdmp 1.9.7 @64f/p * 3p/c.

I have not yet tried 3.2-rc5-rt7