Re: [LAU] jack2: 32bit vs. 64bit

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 19 2011 - 17:41:39 EET

On 12/19/2011 03:17 PM, Csillag Kristof wrote:
[..]
> After replacing the JACK2 64-bit packages with the JACK1 ones, and
> also replacing the Debian-supported 32-bit jack1 libjack with the latest
> 32-bit jack1 libjack (from i386),
> 32-bit jack clients started to work!
>
> At least Pianoteq 32-bit now works properly, and WineASIO can connect to
> jack, and is detected properly now.

Cool.

While maintaining multi-arch 32/64bit systems has become much easier. I
certainly won't shed a tear the day the last 32bit systems dies. This
transition likley caused more headaches than Y2K.

> However, this does not mean that the quest is over; since
> a) I still get to have Kontakt running, and
> b) I vaguely remember that I have read somewhere that jack1 (or
> netjack1) does not support something I need ... but I don't remember
> what it was exactly.

Binaries for non linux OS maybe? AFAIK that and ease of setup are
the only major differeces from a user's POV.

Under the hood they're totally different beasts however:
http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/NetJack
http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/NetJack2

> I will keep posting my findings.
>
> Thank you: