Re: [LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity

From: Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Dec 29 2011 - 14:57:34 EET

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:20:07 +0100
> From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
>
> [snip] a DE should be good in handling multiple apps and
> their windows simultaneously. Apps that are written in GTK, QT and any
> other GUI-set.
>
> To me that means, that GNOME 3 is not perfect(though perfectly usable)
> since I want to keep everything about the 10-15 windows in my sessions
> under MY control. I want virtual desktops for Ardours editor and
> Ardours mixer and others for Qtractor, Guitarix, Hydrogen you name it.
> And I want to be the one who decides what window is on what desktop
> and when and how do I switch to another. Usually I have 6 Desktops
> involved in audio sessions plus others for Mozilla etc.

If session handles should be able to handle the windows size, the
windows positions and the work space where windows should appear, than
I'll use a session handler too.

> Try XFCE

I switched to Xfce

> or KDE

KDE3 was my first choice, but I can't stand KDE4.

AND KDE3 was to resource hungry for an old PC I used, it was the perfect
desktop for my current PC.

KDE3 was able to handle windows size, IIRC also positions, but IIRC it
couldn't handle the work space.

- Ralf