Re: [LAU] ALSA device/resource busy when using alsa-jack plugin

From: James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 29 2011 - 21:37:23 EET

On 29 December 2011 13:54, James Warden <warjamy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> I have no problem with this (using the aloop trick of mine).
> Here is my command line:
>
>  ./arnold -fps 62 -soundplugin ALSA -kbdtype 0

What version of arnold are you using? The -fps option is unrecognised here.

I'm using the latest in Arch's AUR: arnold 2009.03.17-2
(also the most recent dl on berlios.de). Disabled Pulse in the PKGBUILD.

I've found it necessary to give it the ALSA option - which works when
nothing else is using sound, but I thought DMIX was supposed to take
care of things when something else was using sound?

When arnold successfully has sound, it blocks other programs from
using sound (ALSA).

Is there something in the ALSA API which means programs can block/be
blocked by the usage of DMIX? If so, are there reasons programs would
require to do so? Or could I just change the code to use the more
DMIX/ALSA-JACK-plugin friendly methods (assuming there are some)?

Cheers,
James