Re: [LAU] [Rosegarden-user] MIDI card for Linux

From: Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Jan 03 2012 - 15:55:25 EET

On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:30:14 -1000
> From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] [Rosegarden-user] MIDI card for Linux
> To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
>
> Abrolag wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:12:36 -0900
> > Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> I know this isn't a Linux support forum, but are any of the Linux
> users
> >> happy with a particular sound card that provides incoming MIDI
> support?
> >> I have an old CASIO keyboard with standard IN/OUT MIDI ports, and
> wanted
> >> to try streaming MIDI into Rosegarden.
> >>
> > If you can still get hold of the M-audio 2496 card grab it quick.
> I've had one
> > for ages and it's been flawless. They have a very good reputation
> both on the
> > audio and MIDI sides.
>
> I second that. I have 2 here, they work very nicely.
>
> --
> David
> gnome@email-addr-hidden
> authenticity, honesty, community

Regarding to MIDI jitter not only the MIDI device seems to be important.
It's the combination of the mobo, MIDI device and software settings.
Using e.g. HPET for the sequencer timer could improve this issue.

Regarding to Linux drivers for the MIDI device, Envy24 cards are
supported. Sometimes there's the need to do some editing to get audio
working, when pulseaudio is installed, but this has got no impact to
MIDI.

I own 2 TerraTec EWX 24/96 PCI cards for MIDI usage only + a card from
another vendor PCIe for MIDI and audio. The TerraTec cards have less
jitter and as mentioned before, pulseaudio isn't an issue for MIDI only.
I bought one of my TerraTec cards for less than 30.00 EUR at Ebay.

So +1 for Envy24 cards for MIDI only.

Happy new year to everyone!

Ralf

--
FWIW I also own a Swissonic USB MIDI. On my machine jitter is that low,
that it "should" be inaudible. I anyway advice against USB devices.