Re: [LAU] monitor specifications

From: Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2012 - 15:07:50 EET

On Sun, 2012-01-08 at 12:00 +0000,
linux-audio-user-request@lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 15:47:56 +0100
> From: Guido Piazzi <guido@fotocaos.it>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] monitor specifications

> - Google for "Auratone 5C": they should be the easiest studio
> monitors
> to clone (single driver, no hi-fi at all), and a very useful tool in
> your studio even when you already have "real", good monitors.

Auratones are used to have an impression of how the mix will sound on
variety of consumer gear, they are not used to do a complete mix. More
of a mix is done by using near field monitors.

If somebody don't has much money, it's better to buy monitors, than to
build monitors. If somebody has lot of money, it also might be more
comfortable to by monitors.

If somebody is in a financial crisis, I recommend to buy RTF B3010 HIFI
at Ebay. They are from the GDR and today small radio stations and small
audio studios use them as near field monitor here in the FRG. I'm using
them myself. A pair costs 50,-€ at Ebay. They aren't very good, but you
still can buy monitors for 1000,- € that are less good.

DIY for gear like monitors is risky.

- Ralf