Re: [LAU] OS for realtime operation

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 09 2012 - 17:58:08 EET

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 17:23:20 +0200
Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Heard good things about Arch in audio use too. Anyone got experience with
> Arch use for pro audio?

I've been using Arch for a couple of months now. I really like the fact
that it's very streamlined. I'm not running anything in the background
that isn't necessary and my performance on my old P4 with 2GB RAM is
better than I have any right to expect. I recently recorded and mixed an
album that had 40-50 tracks when we were done, and it was only when I
started overloading the fx that I ran into trouble, and then it was just
a matter of being smarter about submix busses and putting the fx on the
submixes to get me out of trouble. I still had lots going on with it.

Unfortunately, the degree of difficulty is quite high. Fortunately I've
been a UNIX professional for 25 years, and have been working with Linux
since the Yggdrasil days, but it still threw me a few curves before I
got the system to a workable point.

I had been a Fedora/CCRMA fan for years, but I think the last release
I had good performace on was F12. With any luck I'll be able to upgrade
the hardware soon and will get to go through this all over again! My
problem there is that I have 2 Delta 1010s so I need 2 PCI slots, and
they're getting harder to find these days.

Good luck!

- Joe