Re: [LAU] /dev/rtc permissions on Debian

From: Robert Jonsson <spamatica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2012 - 00:45:07 EET

Hi Rosea,

2012/1/9 rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>:
> On 01/09/2012 09:37 PM, James Stone wrote:
>>
>> Did you get any further with this? I had a look at the program, but
>> it's a bit of a hefty compile what with all the dependencies. Looks
>> pretty nice though!
>>
>> I seem to remember rosegarden used to complain about rtc access (at
>> least it did in the past), but it never seemed to have a noticable
>> impact on performance (at least to my ears).
>>
>> Thanks Ralf for the info on max-user-freq. I didn't realise this had
>> anything to do with rtc, but I did have to change it in the past to
>> get round some bad midi timing inconsistencies in seq24. Didn't know
>> the new way to set it.
>>
>> James
>>

> Yes, followed the instructions by Ralf, seems to be ok now. Thanks!
> Didn't realize this was a configuration step which has to be done still
> these days.
<....>

Just some clarification as to the nature, Oom is based on MusE so the
same error can occur for us (with MusE that is).
I can see that the error message can be improved after reading Ralfs
reply, usually the reason is due to device file permissions, didn't
know it could actually be because of a value limitation. I'll give it
a look for improvements.

Also, having rtc timing is as someone noted not a strict requirement,
as it will fall back on the system timer, though on many systems this
is set too low.

Regards,
Robert