Re: [LAU] OS for realtime operation

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2012 - 10:14:57 EET

On 01/10/12 01:07, Diego Simak wrote:
> If that kernel is not suitable for you (I mean, you get a lot of xruns),
> then you can use the PREEMPT or RT Kernels that are included in the
> Official Ubuntu Repositories (which are configured in the apt sources
> automatically) and see how it works before going to a manual kernel
> compillation.

10.04 does have a real-time kernel in the repos, 2.6.31-rt. But the
2.6.33 real-time kernel from Tango Studio is superior. At least, I
didn't have a lot of success with the real-time kernel from the Ubuntu
repos while the one from Tango Studios is still going strong.
Later versions of Ubuntu do not have a real-time kernel available
anymore, only via PPA's. But indeed, with the whole IRQ threading thing
being merged in the mainline kernel you could ask yourself, do I really
need a real-time kernel. In my case I dare to say yes, haven't done any
A-B testing with a low-latency kernel but I get the feeling that I can
get the most out of a real-time kernel. That's why I'm thinking about
switching to Arch but unfortunately the 3.0 real-time kernel is not
stable enough (it crashes on any plug-in that uses the Juce framework,
need to file a bugreport).

Best,

Jeremy