[LAU] [OT]: Hybrid SSD disks

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2012 - 11:31:53 EET

Hi all,

I've lately heard of so-called hybrid ssd disks and was wondering if
anyone has experiences with them esp. relating to audio, but also for
general use.

While advantages (and drawbacks) of pure SSD are quite straightforward,
but the price tag is still high, I'm not totally convinced of the
advertised 'advantages' of the hybrid ones.

On the more linux side of things, one aspect which is not very clear to
me is compatibility, especially what sort of software hackery the
'adaptive' optimisations include and to which extent these are
Windows/Mac only, e.g. one of the popular brands states Linux
compatibility and in the spec. sheet "Can be used with Linux"

I was also thinking that this probably relates mostly to the laptop
universe, as I guess one could create a 'homemade' hybrid system on a
workstation with multiple drive slots by simply getting a smaller (now
reasonably affordable) SSD disk for the system and keeping a traditional
platter one for, say, storage etc.

Lorenzo.