Re: [LAU] choir effect

From: Alan Russell <ajrussellaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2012 - 16:42:23 EET

Hi Renato,

Chorus FX have a pretty simple algorithm; a single delay line with its time
modulated by an LFO between about 5ms and 50ms. Any slower than this, and
I'd call it phasing. That should be very easy to implement with SC/Pd as
well, and definitely in AMS (I've still to check out Ingen). Ensemble
Chorus units I think would expand on this by just increasing the number of
delay lines and LFOs.

I think, though, you're more interested in simulating the sound of a real
"choir" of whatever instrument you're plugging through the effect, with
different voices singing the same tune, or harmonising, and the subtly
different qualities of the "voices" adding to the texture of the whole.
Sounds interesting!

I think pitch shifters are going to have to come into it. Not just for
harmony parts (though I'd stick to octaves and fifths or it would get a bit
weird, musically), but also for things like pitching a line +12 then -12
for a bit of subtle difference (no pitch-shift algorithm is perfect). I'd
try things like using a short but 100% wet reverb to add to the texture. I
guess the key would be to keep it sounding as natural as possible, but it's
definitely do-able with a decent modular system and a bunch of time/pitch
effect modules.

Alan Russell
ajrussellaudio@email-addr-hidden