Re: [LAU] choir effect

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 13 2012 - 20:18:36 EET

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:52:59 +0100
Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi, I'm interested in how to create a "choir" effect - given a single
> instrument playing (I'm personally interested in single drum shots
> from hydrogen and guitar lines, i.e. not chords), I'd like to have n
> copies of the signal (where n would probably be something between 2
> and 20), each with a slightly different delay, volume, eq, pitch.
>
> Is this doable in a sane way, at least in part, with the free tools we
> have? I think it should be doable in sc or pd, but I was wondering if
> it's possible with ladspa, lv2 and dssi, and maybe a host like ams or
> ingen.
>
> cheers,
> renato

Attached is the python script (uses sox) I hacked together, which for
the moment deals only with delay and gain, but it should be easy enough
to add other effects, given the versatility of sox.

Basically it takes a sample, makes many copies of it each with
different gain and quantity of silence at the beggining, and then mixes
all to an output file.

Tested with snare samples, it gives results close to what I wanted (at
least in the right direction).

usage example:
./choir-sample.py snare.wav 20snares.wav 20

Of course use at your own risk, I take no responsibility if it melts
your hard drive ;) (but it shouldn't)

have fun,
renato