Re: [LAU] Monophonic Audio to real time midi?

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2012 - 00:20:55 EET

Am 23.01.2012 10:32, schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
> Hi,
>
> On 23/01/2012 10:21, Nils wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a tool that allows audio-in over jack and gives me jack or
>> midi alsa out?
>> I need (near) real time monophonic conversion so I can use it for step
>> entry in midi-in programs.
>
> You could have a look at the [sigmund~] external by Miller Puckette for
> Pure Data (I believe it is a 'vanilla' object).

Quite often I read and hear people recommend PD but all my tries in the
past 2 or so years ended in desaster. Actually PD was the only app I
tried with Jack that caused real trouble and I never saw it even
starting without an xrun at least.

So is it me? How does PD work with Jack for those of you who use it on a
day to day basis?

And is there anybody who uses PD for the job mentioned by the thread
starter?
If so, is there a chance to do it like this:

1.) put an object (external or whatever) for Jack audio in
2.) put the [sigmund~] thing and connect it to that input
3.) put a jack-MIDI out and connect it to [sigmund~] out
4.) make noise and send it to 1.) and route the notes generated by 3.)
to any app that can read them from Jack-MIDI

best regards

HZN