Re: [LAU] Monophonic Audio to real time midi?

From: R. Mattes <rm@email-addr-hidden-freiburg.de>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2012 - 13:39:01 EET

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:03:23 +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote
> Am 24.01.2012 09:13, schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
> > On 23/01/2012 23:20, Hartmut Noack wrote:
 [...]
> > I wouldn't like to de-rail this too much as there is a very active Pd
> > mailing list. Anyway.
> > Pd can take a while to get into, but I can say that Pd works very well
> > with Jack and I never had big issues. Of course you should keep in mind
> > that Pd is a programming language and enables you to do whatever you
> > want, even fill an array beyond your ram size et. sim. with great power...
>
> That is crystal clear to me, yet I get xruns even at startup when
> nothing is loaded to produce anything...

So something is pretty badly broken in your setup - what did the members
of the PD mailing list suggest to fix this?
Without any information about how your jack is set up and how you run PD
it's pretty futile to try to help. On my humble box the following setup
works fine (and I _do_ use PD to do pitch tracking):

$ cat ~/.jackdrc
/usr/bin/jackd -P78 -u -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p128 -n3

$ pd -rt -jack

> >> And is there anybody who uses PD for the job mentioned by the thread
> >> starter?
> >> If so, is there a chance to do it like this:
> >>
> >> 1.) put an object (external or whatever) for Jack audio in

Jack audio is handled by the input parameter - start PD with the '-jack' switch.
You probably want the '-rt' switch as well (makes PD use realtime priority).

> >> 2.) put the [sigmund~] thing and connect it to that input

Just create a [adc~] object (that will provide audio from the jack input)
and connect it to the [sigmund~] input.

> >> 3.) put a jack-MIDI out and connect it to [sigmund~] out

PD doesn't have a Jack-MIDI out, only ALSA Midi so far. Just send your midi
note to an [noteout] object. You can configure the number of Midi inputs/outputs
from the menu or do it with a command line switch.

> >> 4.) make noise and send it to 1.) and route the notes generated by 3.)
> >> to any app that can read them from Jack-MIDI

I'll do this on a regular basis, no problem.

HTH Ralf Mattes