Re: [LAU] New music

From: Gerald Mwangi <gerald.mwangi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 25 2012 - 10:18:10 EET

Hi Jostein,
On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 21:30 +0100, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

> Hi Gerald,
>
> Reply to All / Reply to List
> On Tuesday 24 January 2012 14.58.38 Gerald Mwangi wrote:
> > tell me what you think.
>
> Glad that you're back again. I have heard your music before and you have
> a wonderful song - just as I expected. Some of the the chords and
> harmonies are also very interesting, I just love it.

Thanx. I wasn't away, I read the list nearly everyday, but I just post
when I have something to show.

> IMO, it's not easy to know what to think because I don't which conditions
> the recording has. Is it a demo? Do the drums have a single track for
> each item, did you record it quick and hasty and so on. So I just say
> what I think assuming that each part of the drums have it's own track
> plus two OH mics. What I say here might be wrong anyway, I don't know
> your EQs, HPF's, compressors and so on, so just see this as vague
> suggestions and blurry starting points:
>
> *The snare drum is to load, you better lover it and add 3-6 dB
> somewhere around 600 - 700 Hz (more of the ringing body).
> And give it a little bit reverb (careful) too.

That's what I've heard elsewhere. This is the first time I mixed drums,
and I sat there for days and fiddling around.
Our drummers opinion was that the snare shouldn't ring to much, since he
likes it tight. I think a bit of ring is good so I'll try out your tip.

> *Pan the HH more to one of the sides and let the clean guitar
> be on the opposite one.
> *Give the kick more deep end and accentuate the click. Give
> the bass more low mid (and the kick lesser on the same place).
> You might also want more fret sound (more mid+) from the
> bass, that will probably improve the overall sound. Right now,
> hard kicks are destroying the bass some places.

Which freq range do you mean by low mid?

> *The vocals need (more) compression, the reverb varies from to
> load to to quiet, maybe more compression on the voice is
> enough to tame it.
> *Use an (or more) HPF for the organ.

Does it have to much bass? Which center freq?

> *Toms? More body, more attack, more HPF.

Here again our drummers opinion, but I'll use your tip. Again center
freq of HPF? And Range since the body of the toms goes down to 300-400
Hz ?

> About the performance:
> It sounds to me like you have timing problems - mostly in the clean
> guitar, but it might be editable in the mix (or rerecordable ? :-) ). The
> bass and guitars do also sound out of tune some places - and around
> 2:48, it's bad. When everything is in better synch, then the flow will be
> much better.

Yep, timing is our problem. None of us is good that, least of all me
(singer+guitarist). But since it's just a demo for getting gigs, I think
it's ok for now.

> In a nut shell: Make space in the lower mids to much happens there, lower
> your snare amplitude but let it's personality be clearer. More defined mid
> in the bass, lesser deep bass. Deeper and clickier kick. Broader stereo
> image. Edit away timing problems and out of tune issues. Let's hope that
> no new bad things shows up after that :-)

I was trying to get it sound like chili peppers Dani California, of
which I have the impression that it's loud in the mids.
But I think you're right. Do you have a reference song I could listen
to?

> It sounds like the recordings itself are good, and as I said: The song
> itself is great. I consider my self as a fan of your music and I'm
> looking forward to hear more. :-)

I feel delighted, thanx. We have more to show in the coming weeks, once
this mix is ready I'll use it as a template.
Thank you a lot for the detailed tips, I'll try to deploy them.
Regards,
Gerald