Re: [LAU] Working with multiple scales simultaneously - user POV

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 27 2012 - 19:48:11 EET

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM, James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering how you would rate the importance of program which
> dynamically assigns pitch and velocity to incoming events to be able
> to work with multiple key/scale simultaneously?
>
> It's a bit of an experiment but I'm thinking it might be useful in
> live situations for the electronic/dance/glitch/etc orientated
> musician, but it might also happen to work out as a fun/toy program
> for people play|learn-ing about music and scales (possibly).
>
> Would anyone consider output of notes in multiple scales important in
> either of these situations?
>
> Thanks,
> James.

I am interested in modes (western) ie ragas (Indian) and in alternate
tunings.
Im not sure what you mean by scale in this context.

I recently had a discussion with the musescore folks about scale ie key
signatures:
Evidently in musescore one can enter non-standard (by western standards)
key signatures like only an A-flat (rather than the usual B-flat) or even
an F-# and a B-flat etc.
But it does not 'understand' these key signatures when playback-ing.
ie with standard western signatures it plays the correct notes but with
these 'home-made' signatures it just plays everything natural.

Dunno if all this has anything to do with anything you are asking.