Re: [LAU] DC offset

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 30 2012 - 10:33:56 EET

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:41:28AM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Immediate context:
> Im trying to capture from firefox using the .asoundrc/jack settings shown
> http://jackaudio.org/routing_alsa
> [Track is http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=183659
> I would just buy it if it were for sale; its not. You may have to click
> past an ad]

I just recorded the first minute using the alsa-jack plugin, this
works perfectly and their is no offset in the signal. So it's not
the source or firefox or the plugin.

> However Ive noticed earlier that when I use my (cheap headset) mike to
> record directly into audacity, this similar DC offset occurs. Since I am no
> audio pro I did not know what to google for before seeing the tabs in the
> normalize dialog of audacity.

Could it be that while recording from firefox you had the soundcard
(auto)connected to the same track as well ? That would add the offset
if the cause is your soundcard (which I suspect), even if the headset
is not plugged in.

> So if you ask me exactly how much DC offset I dont know how to find out in
> figures. The audacity track shows it 1/4th to 1/3rd way up. Center is 0.0
> top is 1.0 inbetween is 0.5.
> This is little more than half way between 0 and 0.5.

Which is way too much, and indicates broken hardware.

So please check your connections and then we'll see again.

Ciao,

--
FA
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.