Re: [LAU] DC offset

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 30 2012 - 15:59:51 EET

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:05:38PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:41:28AM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> >
> > > Immediate context:
> > > Im trying to capture from firefox using the .asoundrc/jack settings shown
> > > http://jackaudio.org/routing_alsa
> > > [Track is http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=183659
> > > I would just buy it if it were for sale; its not. You may have to click
> > > past an ad]
> >
> > I just recorded the first minute using the alsa-jack plugin, this
> > works perfectly and their is no offset in the signal. So it's not
> > the source or firefox or the plugin.
> >
> > > However Ive noticed earlier that when I use my (cheap headset) mike to
> > > record directly into audacity, this similar DC offset occurs. Since I am
> > no
> > > audio pro I did not know what to google for before seeing the tabs in the
> > > normalize dialog of audacity.
> >
> > Could it be that while recording from firefox you had the soundcard
> > (auto)connected to the same track as well ? That would add the offset
> > if the cause is your soundcard (which I suspect), even if the headset
> > is not plugged in.
> >

> So you are suggesting I "unconnect" the soundcard (and 'silently' record?)
> Ok how to unconnect the card?

You wrote (see above) that you were using the alsa->jack plugin to record
from firefox. So you must have connected the track to the outputs of that
plugin. And I suspect that your recording app has autoconnected itself to
the soundcard. So you are recording from firefox and the soundcard at the
same time. Just check this in qjackctl and disconnect the soundcard.

Ciao

--
FA
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.