Re: [LAU] iPad and Linux audio

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 05 2012 - 00:58:09 EET

Am 04.02.2012 16:00, schrieb Paul Davis:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Nick Copeland<nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> there are some very cool synths starting to appear for the iPad too,
>>> but this is precisely the market that *cannot* (for technical reasons)
>>> be catered to on Android. its very sad. would i consider an Ardour
>>> port to an Android that had a reasonable audio subsystem? i would
>>> definitely look into it. but on android as is: why would anyone bother
>>> to build synths, whether historical replicas or things like
>>> supercollider, or DAWs or FX units etc. on this platform? there just
>>> isn't any reason.
>>
>> I agree with Fons that it is largely for toys, I think that subject came up
>> before but hey, we are all big kids really.
>
> i actually don't consider having a work korg ms-20 on an ipad to be a
> toy, at least no more than a toy than an actual ms-20. ditto for some
> of the other synths that have started appearing on iOS. there is some
> very useful work in the re-creation realm, and some really cool stuff
> in the "wierd-ass synthesis model" realm. none of these can be played
> live sensibly on android.

The issue is latency right?

But if the system is not build to react reliably enough to be played
live it could still be useful to write music using a score-editor or the
editing in any sequencer, to arrange recordings, review takes, cut video
etc etc
Anything with a workflow that allows some 100ms latency.

Sitting in a train and review the takes in an Ardour-project using an
android-tablet could be quite nice methinks.
Though I still would prefer a laptop for such work...