Re: [LAU] help for a LAUer wannabe

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 21:35:08 EET

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:15:08 +0000
Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> AV Linux is def. the best bet for your friend - I'd tell him to wait a
> couple of weeks for 5.0.3 to be released as AV doesn't really support
> being updated as such - it is supposed to be used 'as-is' as it
> includes lots of apps and custom tweaks that are alien to the Debian
> repos and hence may or may not work after you do an 'apt-get upgrade'.
>
> The AV Linux manual is surely one the best guides and introductions
> to the basics of Linux audio, JACK and Debian available too and if
> there is anything not covered there it has excellent forums where you
> can ask your distro-related questions but before using that I would
> recommend asking in #opensourcemusicians on freenode irc.

This seems like a good suggestion. He's allready installed ubuntu
studio and is playing with it, I'll burn him AV 5.0.3 when it gets out
so he'll give it a try.

Well, actually I was surprised he was able to install ubuntu aside
windows, do internet and start playing with Ardour, all in a couple of
hours and without help or much prior knowledge - that definitely wasn't
my first linux experience years ago. Things have really gone a long way.

cheers,
renato