Re: [LAU] Mic for accoustic (bass) guitar

From: Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2012 - 23:41:18 EET

Hi,

> > but also... what about your mixer?
> > a trabant shipped with ferrari engine would not do the job as you
> > expect :-)
>
> Interesting. My answer is: none. The microphone cable would go to a
> passive direct box (*) I got some time ago and the output of the box
> then goes into the M-Audio 1010LT card and fed to Ardour. I do not see
> at the moment why there would be an external mixer in there.
>
> Small condenser mic-->Radial DI-->Maudio 1010LT
Is that your setup or is there a mic preamp involved?
If not you will HAVE to use one to get the signal that comes out of the
microphone to a proper working level.
Also I'm wondering that you get any signal at all through a passive DI box
having no phantom power...

My mic preference on a budget would be the "Bluebird" by Blue,
which has a very pleasant harmonic distortion in the lowmids, and is pretty
cheap too.
Not so on a budget an EV re20 or AKG 414 or a combination, relying also on
room size and acoustics.

Hope that helps anyway..
Moshe