Re: [LAU] Fwd: The SuperCollider Algostep Remix Competition

From: Dan S <danstowell+lxau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 12:41:13 EET

2012/2/8 Atte André Jensen <atte@email-addr-hidden>:
> On 02/06/2012 11:10 AM, Dan S wrote:
>
>> We want you to take algorithmically-generated dance music and rework
>> it. Submissions will be judged by three hand-reared computer
>> algorithms, for the chance to win one of three Novation Launchpads.
>>
>> Full details: http://bit.ly/x4YS37
>

> Questions:

Hi, sorry for the late reply:

> 1) Can I add other audio to the remix, for instance other loops, instruments
> and such?

Yes! As long as the rights won't be a problem.

> 2) How far away from the original am I allowed to take it?

A looong way. The judging process is kinda unusual - it's going to be
judged by three algorithms that Nick Collins has trained on a corpus
of dubstep and other electronic music. I can't honestly tell you what
that means in terms of what to do if your ambition is purely to win
the competition, because the algorithms are pretty clever but they are
being kept secret so they're black boxes, even to me.

> 3) Any restrictions on what software I can use in the process?

No.

> Judging from http://bit.ly/x4YS37 my guess "yes", "far" and "no"...

Well done! :)

Dan