Re: [LAU] What audio interface to use for a Linux-powered surround preamp?

From: Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2012 - 13:27:15 EET

Sorry to reply to such an old topic, going through my Linux Audio folder for the first time in a few months (been to busy to keep up lately.)

I hope things have progressed nicely :-)

For audio I would also have suggested RME. It looks like you have chosen to go one of the fully digital routes, to get all the AES you need straight out of the card. If you had really wanted some analogue options alongside it then RME do ADAT<->AES converters, so could have been used with one of the more general purpose cards with ADAT. http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_adi_4_dd.php

As to video. There are some HDMI capture cards available, EG Black Magic if on a tight budget, but from a quick reading it seems they all only support the baseline of 2 channel audio on HDMI, rather than the possible 8 channels.

A solution could be to use a HDMI->HDSDI converter, although being broadcast equipment generally not cheap, but these can be found supporting the full 8 channels and HDSDI ingest cards will generally support all 8 channels too.

Converter (they also do cards but couldn't find one suitable for you.) http://www.dveo.com/broadcast-systems/HDMI-to-HD-SDI-converter.shtml

For professional video cards DVS and Deltacast seem to have good Linux support, Black Magic to a lesser degree (and they're really prosumer at best.)

http://www.deltacast.tv

http://www.dvs.de

Neither has an off the shelf product that will help with HDMI ingesting but still may be worth looking at/talking to.

Or maybe all Black Magic need to do is a firmware update for the Intensity or Deklink Studio HDMI input cards . http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/ & http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklink/

Or has the HDMI switch done away with the need for a lot of this? I
would of used a basic switch, which are available cheaply, then into the
 computer using one of the above methods...

Good luck with it all anyway.

Dale.