Re: [LAU] Linux 3.2.0-rt Kernels on Debian Repos!

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2012 - 22:46:32 EET

On 02/25/2012 02:58 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 13:44 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 12:00 +0000,
>> linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>>> what did you suspect here ?
>>> Users are always welcome to give feedback, suggestions, or at least,
>>> become a part of the project. That is what FLOSS is about. FLOSS isn't
>>> about to present you a OS on a silver tablet, FLOSS will always force
>>> you to make it work. It is community based. If you didn't help, the
>>> community get a bit smaller, and a piece of work fail.
>>>
>>> what did you think why a developer develop Free Open Software ?
>>> And what did you think why a debian maintainer do what he do ?
>>> Do you believe they do it to suite there ego's ?
>>
>> I started the translation of Qtractor a month ago and due to issues such
>> as pulseaudio and the dropped nv driver (and some other issues) I can't
>> contribute, continue translating, but just fix issues, hence my only
>> contribution could be to set up machines for users who are willing to
>> learn, but are unable to learn all things at the same time, for their
>> first Linux install. At least distros shouldn't do a default install
>> with 3D effects enabled DEs and than install the nouveau driver by
>> default if a NVIDIA graphics was detected. A 2D desktop and the vesa
>> driver would allow beginners to get their first install working OOTB and
>> to learn how to maintain their own machine. Btw. some distros don't
>> install bryltty by default. Nowadays only 3D DEs count.
>>
>> That's a step in the wrong direction.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>
> PS: Some people are willing to help unpaid for social projects. They
> contribute by giving e.g. medical help to children in the Third World.
> It would be nice if they don't need to use Apple or Microsoft, but
> instead could use a Linux that works OOTB. They don't contribute by
> maintaining Linux, they don't have knowledge how to maintain a tool such
> as a computer, but they contribute to the human race.
>
> Everything that goes around, comes around ;).
>
> It's narrow-minded to limit the cycle to Linux only.

Sometimes it seems that Linux users have a choice: (1) use Linux to do
whatever they do with it (such as pro audio), and thereby raise the
(audio) world's general awareness of Linux - or (2) spend their time
debugging/developing Linux apps. If you're doing (1) for a client, it's
not fair to the client for you to be doing (2) on their dime.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden