Re: [LAU] Simple hardware & software for digitizing analog audio recordings

From: Adam <adam707@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 06 2012 - 21:23:32 EET

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Anything that would fit into that PCIe x16 slot or a USB port --
>> I just need something that will accept line-level stereo inputs.
>> I'm hoping to find something decent in the US $40-80 range, new or used.
> There aren't many PCIe sound cards; the cheapest is the Xonar DX, which
> is slightly above this range when new, but has an excellent ADC.
>
> USB devices tend to cost more than comparable cards, but there are
> stereo recording interfaces where you don't have to pay for 7.1 outputs
> or a Dolby Digital license. Such devices would be, e.g., the Behringer
> UCA202 (which is cheap) or the Roland/Cakewalk UA-1G (which is not).

Thanks, Clemens! I don't care whether the ADC is PCIe or USB, as
long as it does what I need at an affordable price. Either
interface should still be usable on my next computer system (low-end
desktop, probably later this year).

Of the three devices you mention (Xonar DX, Behringer UCA-202,
Roland UA-1G), how do they compare in performance? How much of an
improvement would the additional cost of the Xonar or Roland offer?
It looks like approximate prices (US dollars) are $100 for the Xonar
(which includes 7.1 outputs and Dolby licensing that I don't need),
$80 for the Roland, and $40 for the Behringer. I assume the ratio
of prices would be comparable in other currencies.

I already know that one question I don't need to ask on this list is
"Will it work under Linux?" :-)

Adam