Re: [LAU] blvco LADSPA plugin

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 12:04:23 EET

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 01:06:12AM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:

> Ah, anaother short question: What's the octave port for? If csound
> sorts them all correctly, I heard something like a filter effect.
> and another small conundrum, which I've been pondering: There's is the
> audio port frequency, to which I can send, whatever I like - so it seems
> - and nothing changes, but it responds to the tuning control port.

If you ask those questions that strongly susggests that Csound
(or your Csound code) is not handling this plugin correctly.

"Frequency" is an audio rate port that would normally receive
the frequency 'control voltage' from the keyboard. This is an
exponential control: +/- 1 --> one octave up or down. If you
send it (midi_note_number - 60) / 12 as an *audio rate* signal
it will do the right thing.

"Octave" and "Tune" are control rate ports normally linked
to GUI controls. They are the 'manual' frequency controls,
"Octave" in steps of an octave (it expects integer input),
and "Tune" with a range of one octave. In Csound you don't
need them as you can have the same result by adding the same
values to "Frequency".

Finally there are three modulation inputs (audio rate) and
their corresponding gain controls (control rate):

"Exp FM" "Exp FM gain" e.g from an ADSR
"Lin FM" "Lin FM gain" e.g. for vibrato
"Mod" "Form mod" waveform modulation

The latter two have bad names, they should have been
"Form mod" and "Form mod gain" to be consistent with
the FM controls.

If you set "Exp FM gain" to 1.0, then "Exp FM" has the
same effect as "Frequency".

Again, this plugin is meant for use in AMS. A csound oscillator
normally has just a single frequency control and non of the FM
related ones (they are replaced by code).

Ciao,

--
FA
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.